Conventional treatments may include prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and steroids. We may also look at minimally-invasive procedures, such as nerve block procedures, or more invasive techniques such as intrathecal pain pumps, spinal cord stimulation, or radiofrequency ablation. Our pain management specialists believe in a holistic approach to chronic pain and also recommend many complementary and alternative options for pain relief including physical therapy, as well as psychological and behavior interventions available at our office in Noblesville.
While we strive to utilize all other pain-relieving options prior to prescribing opioids, we recognize that for some patients in specific circumstances, opioids may be their best option for relief. Medical Pain and Spine Care of Indiana follows strict prescribing and monitoring guidelines as set forth by the federal government and works closely with patients to resolve their pain in other ways before utilizing opioids.
Part of working closely with our patients includes discussing and signing a pain management agreement form. This form follows the Centers for Disease Control’s updated opioid prescribing guidelines and includes the following provisions:
- The agreement acknowledges that opioid therapy is just one part of a patient’s comprehensive treatment plan.
- Patients are to follow all parts of the holistic, comprehensive pain management plan designed with their doctors to include a number of different therapies. This may mean making lifestyle changes as well as undergoing counseling and other complementary therapies tailored to each individual patient.
- Our pain management specialists prescribe the lowest effective dose and will not increase the dose without thoroughly re-evaluating the patient.
- Patients agree to regular follow-up visits, monthly urine screenings, and pill counts within 24 hours if requested by the doctor.
- Doctors and patients work closely together with all other specialists and physicians to avoid over prescription or concurrent benzodiazepine or opioid prescriptions. Each part of this opioid agreement form was designed to protect the patient while undergoing opioid therapy.
Our goal at Medical Pain and Spine Care is to develop the best possible pain management plan for every patient that improves their quality of life. We work as a pain management team to provide comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic services. We utilize an extensive array of treatment options specifically designed for each patient. When one of these options is opioid therapy, we provide the support and guidance needed for safe, effective pain relief.
For more information on all of our pain management options, including opioid therapy, please call 317-776-7028 to schedule an appointment.